Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Don't Forget About Mount Carmel!



Mount Carmel in Ridgewood - Catholic school K-8. I went to Mount Carmel church and went to sunday school at the school across the street and CCD classes during the week with the Meneghin's and the Daly's when we got older.

During Sunday school,  we always sat at the desks of the Catholic school kids - they were filled with their school books. Some sunday school kids would move the books around of the kids that went to school there - ya know, put his book at her desk and her book at his desk and so on. We wondered - "Who goes to school here?" - turns out that a lot of great kids went there! Terri Dimodugno, Tom O'Connor and Jack Wolfstirn to mention a few! I didn't spend a lot of time there but I remember that school like it was yesterday!

There was the typical array of nun/teachers. There was the "mean" nun (no, not really), the nice nun, the young nun - you get the idea. The one that was very serious or "mean" (not really) - that was the one you wanted to impress more than anyone. The day she awarded me with a religious medal I was amazed and so psyched!

Then there was first communion - my partner was Colleen McCarthy! Then confirmation in 6th grade. They made us learn over 200 church-related questions and answers - I studied for days. "The Bishop will ask you these questions!" we were told - we all waited patiently in the pews on confirmation day - "C'mon ask me a question!" - maybe one question - what a letdown - I knew all the answers - at least for a little while!

Then there was CCD classes - I found CCD interesting. One year we had this guy - teacher - maybe someone's parent - he started preaching big time about sex and how it was best to kneel down and pray if you got into a "little situation" - that was enough for me - I asked my mom if I could pass on CCD classes after that.

Wish I could remember all the nuns names - Jack, Terri and Tom do I'm sure! Sister Margret, Sister Mary I think were a couple of them.


Above the Mount Carmel School on the right. The building on the left was where the nuns lived.

If you went to Mount Carmel and graduated RHS - you're soooo welcome to attend the BF/GW reunion on Nov 12! Tom - do you still have your cordouroy jacket!?

No comments:

Post a Comment